Monday, January 20, 2014

Playing Tourist - South Beach

So, in all honestly I have been a little scared to venture to South Beach since we arrived in Miami.  I wasn't sure if I could handle the crazy party that everyone had told us about and driving through it a few times was enough to give me an ulcer.  

Last Saturday morning I decided to be brave and check it out. I hopped on the bus (which smelled like sun tan lotion, where else but in Miami does a public bus smell like sun tan lotion) and jumped off around 17th Street, I walked down the Beach Path to Lummus Park where I was going to take a beach yoga class. I waited on the beach and people watched and let it sink it that it was the middle of January and I was on a beach in a t-shirt and shorts. The yoga class never seemed to materialize, unless it was the super skinny guy sitting on a towel. I decided instead to play tourist.


 I walked along Ocean Drive, which around 11 AM is much more low key than 11 PM. I hit up Zara which was having an amazing sale. I found some cute little boutiques such as Helium I made a mental note for future gift giving, and Taj (if I ever want to splurge on swank beach wear I will be going here). 

I decided instead of taking the bus back to bike it.  Like Boston's City Bike, Miami has it own version called Deco Bike. I biked back up to 63rd street and spent the rest of the day at pool at my building. I think it was my favorite Miami day to date.

The bus option opens up a whole new way to explore the neighborhood and I already told  Marc... next up will be a South Beach Hotel Bar Crawl ... that will be a post for another day .... 

No comments:

Post a Comment